Indifference

I've been a Pearl Jam fan since 1991's Ten. I recently picked up the deluxe reissue of it and was blown away by how well every track on that album stands the test of time - 18 years later no less! To me that's the mark of a great band - timeless music.
Their second album, 1993's 'Vs' was decidedly less commercial and a lot heavier than the first, but still earned the band much success - even though they opted not to make any videos for the album's singles. The success in part however came from the singles, including Daughter, which reached the number one spot on both the Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock charts, spending a total of eight weeks at number one on the former.
It's track #12 Indifference however, the album's closer, that made a big impact on me. It was Vedder's vocal performance that really got me. I had never heard him sing like that before and I liked it. According to Vedder himself, the song is about "[trying to] do something to make some other peoples' lives better than they are, even if it means going through hell." You can certainly hear it in his vocal.
Like Ben Harper's Another Lonely Day, Vedder's performance here demands that you really pay attention. The honesty, conviction and intimacy is what sells it - especially when he starts belting out the last verse.
For my cover of Indifference I opted for a stripped-down acoustic version so as to put focus on what I think makes the song - Eddie Vedder's brilliant lyrics and vocals. I don't think I even got close to the kind of emotion he's relaying, but I had fun trying!

My Cover of Pearl Jam's Indifference:









download > Indifference

I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
Oh, Ill keep takin punches until their will grows tired
Oh, I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind hey,
I wont change direction, and I wont change my mind
~Eddie Vedder, 'Indifference'

0 comments:

Post a Comment